Forfar Masonic Lodge
The Ancient Lodge of Forfar Kilwinning no. 90 opened its doors to the public as part of the 2001 Doors Open Day event. The Lodge now resides in Coutties Wynd, just off Forfar’s High Street. The Lodge has had many meeting places since its charter was granted on 23 December 1762. The Lodge’s original meeting place was at 100 High Street, but it has also met in a variety of vintner’s houses and halls before moving to the former Y.M.C.A. hall in Couttie’s Wynd in 1966.
Amongst its founder members were some important local men such as Provost John Ure, a lawyer, and local landowners Robert Fletcher of Ballinshoe and Robert Wedderburn of Pearsie. The presence of Provost Ure in the Lodge was probably the reason why the Lodge was given the privilege of using the burgh seal, depicting a castle, on Lodge documents.
On display during Doors Open Day were an interesting selection of documents from the Lodge’s beautifully painted wooden chest which requires 3 keys to open it. In addition an impressive number of embroidered aprons were on display.
The Angus Archives holds an interesting masonic document at MS 701 [PDF 58K]. Also, Douglas Nicol has kindly donated a copy of his history of the Lodge to Angus Archives.
© Angus Council 1998 - 2012