Register a birth
Please note our registrars offices operate by appointment only.
You should take with you:
- the form issued to you by the hospital, doctor or midwife
- if you are married, your marriage certificate
After the birth has been registered, you will receive the following documents:
- an abbreviated extract of the birth entry in the register
- a form to register your child with your doctor
- a folder in which to keep your child's birth certificate. This is free of charge
- a gift voucher for a baby pack from Boots Pharmacy or Argos
Full certificates are available at a cost of £10 each at the time of registration or within a month. After a month, the cost will be £15 for the first extract then £10 per subsequent extract.
You can find more information on registering a birth on the National Records of Scotland website.