Issued: 03 September 2003
45 Commando Freedom Ceremony
45 Commando Royal Marines has been in service across the world, most recently in Iraq and Afghanistan, but on Saturday 13 September they fulfill a longstanding engagement with their home base of Arbroath.
In recognition of their service and the long and close association the unit has enjoyed with the area the commanding officer and all ranks of 45 Commando will be granted the Freedom of Angus in a colourful ceremony in the centre of Arbroath.
The diverse role of the marines will be portrayed by around 150 service men and women who will take part in the ceremonial parade in a range of uniforms from desert combat gear to polar skiwear, with a convoy of assorted service vehicles accompanying their march.
The ceremony will take place at 11am outside the Sheriff Court House in Arbroath's High Street when the Provost of Angus, Bill Middleton will formally confer the Freedom of Angus, before the unit exercises their newly granted right to march through the streets.
The route of the parade is as follows: Ladybridge Street into the High Street, Lordburn then Burnside Drive, Brothock Bridge and finally finishing in Marketgate.
Traffic and parking will obviously be affected by the ceremony and the following arrangements are in place to ensure the route of the parade is safe for all those at the ceremony, either as spectators or participants.
Car parking will be affected as follows:
- The council car parks at Ladybridge Street/Marketgate and Gravesend will both be closed from 6pm on Friday 12 September until 3pm on Saturday 13 September.
- On street parking in High Street, Lordburn, Commerce Street, Hill Street, Marketgate and Seagate will be affected from 7am until 12noon on Saturday 13 September.
Alternative council car parks are at the Harbour, Shore, High Street/Hill Street and West Abbey Street. Any residents with any queries about car parking arrangements is asked to call ACCESS line on 08452 777 778.
Traffic arrangements on Saturday 13 September are as follows:
- Marketgate, from Ladybridge Street to Commerce Street, will be closed from 10am - 3pm
- Between 10.30am and 12 noon traffic movement will be restricted on the following routes as the parade takes place - Ladybridge Street, High Street, Hill Street, Commerce Street, Lordburn, A92- Burnside Drive and Gravesend.
- Anyone travelling through Arbroath either to or from Dundee and Montrose should avoid Burnside Drive and follow the signed diversions at Westway and Guthrie Port.
Tayside Police advise motorists to avoid the area between 10.30am and noon if at all possible.
Anyone planning to use public transport between 11am and noon on Saturday 13 should note that affected public service buses will be re-routed and in addition the taxi rank in Lordburn will not be in operation between 10.30am and 11.30am.
Pedestrian and emergency access will be maintained at all time and diversions will be signposted.