Investigation of Illness Associated with Food, Water etc.
- Investigating cases of food poisoning, sickness and diarrhoea, gastro-enteritis etc.
- Providing information about the bugs that cause these types of illnesses, eg Salmonella, E-coli, Camplobacter, Legionella, Giardia, Cryptosporidium.
- Interviewing people affected by such illnesses to try and find out how they may have become ill. Also, investigation of suspected source eg food premises, water, food etc, to try and find out what may have been responsible for illness and to take steps to prevent the same thing happening again.
- Providing advice to those affected by such illnesses to help them take steps to prevent it happening to them again.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have suffered sickness and diarrhoea. What should I do?
First of all, contact your doctor's surgery and make arrangements to submit a stool specimen. You may also wish to make an appointment with your GP.
Then, contact your local Environmental and Consumer Protection office.
If you have any food remains which you think may have caused your illness, please keep this stored in your fridge meantime in such a way as not to contaminate any other food. An Environmental Health Officer will then arrange to speak with you to try and find out how you may have picked up this illness. They will then give appropriate advice and may take samples or carry out an investigation at premises suspected of being implicated. You will be kept informed of the outcome of any such investigation.
Where can I obtain information about food poisoning, Legionella, Salmonella, Giardia, E-coli and/or Crytosporidium?
At your nearest Environmental and Consumer Protection office.
If in doubt, contact the Senior Environmental Health Officer at the Arbroath office (see address below).
Leaflets are also available on the following specific illnesses:
- Campylobacter (100 KB PDF)
- Salmonella (100 KB PDF)
- E coli O157 (100 KB PDF)
- Shigella (100 KB PDF)
- Viral gastroenteritis (100 KB PDF)
- Typhoid fever (100 KB PDF)
- Hepatitis A (100 KB PDF)
- Cryptosporidium (100 KB PDF)
- Giardia (100 KB PDF)
Who do I contact for further information?
Senior Environmental Health Officer (Food & Safety)
12 Hill Terrace
Arbroath DD11 1AH
Tel: 01241 435600
Fax: 01241 431801
Service Page: ECPillness.htm
Service Details Last Reviewed : 24 October 2012