Angus CouncilTel: 08452 777 778

A-Z of Services

A-Z Home | Service List | Index | Mobile A-Z

Online Options for this Service

Frequently Asked Questions

Social Work Publications

View all available publications

Get Adobe Reader

Welfare Rights Service

The Welfare Rights Service offers free, confidential advice to anyone living in Angus on a number of issues, such as

The Welfare Rights Service also work with Macmillan Cancer Support to provide a Welfare Rights service to assist people throughout Angus living with or affected by cancer.

The service also provides training and informal talks to other departments, voluntary organisations and local groups and issues relating to welfare rights.

There are several changes to the benefits system taking place. Please visit our welfare reform pages for more information.

If you are aged 60 or over you can check your entitlement to Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction using the link below:

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there a Welfare Rights Service?

Many people do not realise that they have an entitlement to benefit. Millions of pounds of benefits go unclaimed and it is often those most in need that miss out. A Welfare Rights Worker will make sure you know your rights and give you the correct information to allow you to make an informed decision about claiming benefit.

What sort of help can the Welfare Rights Service give me?

The Welfare Rights Service may be able to carry out a benefit check to ensure that you are receiving your correct benefit entitlement.

They can assist you in dealing with social security matters and can represent you at social security appeal tribunals, if applicable.

The service can give you advice about Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction. They also provide debt advice for people who have a number of debts and are experiencing financial difficulties. (Please note, they do not provide advice on budgeting or advice on investments.)

I would have difficulty getting into Forfar. How do I get help?

The Welfare Rights Service can provide a home visit, or if you prefer arrange to meet with you in one of the Access offices throughout Angus. Home visits can be arranged when you are unable to travel due to your disability or where you have child care difficulties. We can also give advice over the telephone.

Can welfare rights advise on things like matrimonial problems or wills?

No. The service cannot advise on issues normally dealt with by a solicitor.

Can Welfare Rights represent me at court?

Yes, but we can only represent you in debt cases or with certain housing issues.

Who do I contact for further information?

Welfare Rights can be contacted at:

Service Page: WelfareRights.htm
Service Details Last Reviewed : 15 April 2014

Get Adobe Reader Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. If you don't have it, download it free from