Angus CouncilTel: 08452 777 778

A-Z of Services

A-Z Home | Service List | Index | Mobile A-Z

Online Options for this Service

Frequently Asked Questions


Dog Warden Service

Responsible for:

Download Promoting Responsible Dog Ownership booklet (225 KB PDF) Opens in a new window Opens in a new window.

Frequently Asked Questions

There is a dog running about in the street. What can be done?

During normal working hours telephone ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778 and confirm your details for passing to the Dog Warden. If the Dog Warden can catch the dog they will arrange to have it looked after for seven days in a local kennel.

If your pet has been impounded it may be claimed back during this seven day period on payment of the appropriate fee and kennel charges.

After the seven-day statutory period most dogs are passed to a local charity which looks after the dogs for a further period while actively seeking to re-home them.

There are a small number (less than five) of dogs each year which are either very old or ill or overly aggressive which the charity will not be able to re-home. These animals are humanely destroyed at the end of the seven-day period.

I have lost my dog. Who do I contact?

Contact the Dog Warden Service via ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778. They will be able to advise if your dog has been picked up as a stray. You should also contact your local police station. If a member of the public has found your dog they may have taken it there for safekeeping.

Remember, your dog should have a collar with a tag attached giving your name and address. It is also advisable to have your pet microchiped - all dogs picked up by the Dog Wardens are scanned for an identity chip. A dog wearing an ID tag or chipped has a far greater chance of being reunited with its owner.

Dogs uplifted as strays and taken to the council's contract kennel will not be released to the owner until the statutory charges have been paid, that is £25 administration fee plus £9.20 (including VAT) per day kenneling charges.

My dog has been put into kennels - what do I do?

Dogs uplifted as strays and taken to the council's contract kennel will not be released to the owner until the statutory charges have been paid, that is £25 administration fee plus £9.20 (including VAT) per day kenneling charges.

ACCESSLine (08452 777 778) will advise you on the payment required. Payment can then be made at any ACCESS office by cash/cheque/credit or debit card. You will be given two receipts (one for your retention and one for the kennel) and advised of the kennel that your dog is in. You must collect your dog by 6pm on the day of payment or an additional fee will be incurred.

I have found a stray dog. Can a Warden collect it?

The Dog Wardens can call at your home to pick up a dog. Telephone 08452 777 778 to arrange. Alternatively, you can hand it over to the police at your local police station. The latter is the recommended course of action in the evening or at weekends.

I am looking for a dog as a pet. Can you help?

Angus Council Dog Warden Service does not re-home dogs. The Council does however have a formal arrangement with a local charity Angus Dog Rescue. Any strays which are still in the council's care after the statutory seven day period are passed to Angus Dog Rescue who evaluate every dog and match the dog with a suitable home. This partnership has provided invaluable assistance in caring for and providing veterinary treatment to dogs who's owners abandon their pets. Angus Dog Rescue have a number of volunteers who bring to the organisation a wide range of knowledge and skills from simple dog exercising to expert training for dogs with behavioural problems which are resolved prior to the dog being offered a new home. This charity is always seeking responsible people to offer a caring home - contact Ann Greig on 01241 870168.

The Scottish Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals may have a few dogs to be re-homed and they can be contacted on 03000 999 999 or found on the Web at

I have a new dog. Is there any advice available?

Yes. Angus Council Dog Wardens have prepared a small booklet on responsible dog ownership, which is available free of charge from your local Environmental & Consumer Protection office, or download the Promoting Responsible Dog Ownership booklet (225 KB PDF) Opens in a new window Opens in a new window.

I am no longer able to keep my dog. What can I do?

It is best if you can find a person you know who will give your pet a caring home.

If this is not possible, a local charity, Angus Dog Rescue, may be able to assist in re-homing. They would require a contribution to cover the cost of kennelling the dog until a new home can be found. Angus Dog Rescue can be contacted on 01241 870168.

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals have a few kennels, but these are principally to care for dogs which have been ill treated. If all else fails they may be able to help. Telephone them on 03000 999 999.

What powers do the Council have under the Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act 2010?

The Act gives new powers to local authorities for action to be taken against out of control dogs and enforce measures to improve any such behaviour.

It focuses on 'Out of Control' dogs. Under the Act, a dog is viewed as being "out of control" if:

If, after investigation, it is found that the dog was out of control, the owner may be issued with a Dog Control Notice (DCN).

A DCN outlines the measures the owner must take to make sure the dog is controlled in a manner which ensures the safety of others and prevents further incidents/attacks.

Once a DCN has been issued, the council must check the notice is being complied with. Any further reports of the dog being 'out of control' or a breach of the DCN, will be investigated.

Failure to comply with a DCN is an offence and can incur a fine of up to £1,000. A court may also make an order to disqualify a person from owning or keeping a dog for a period of time.

There is dog fouling in the area. Can it be cleaned up?

The Dog Wardens are not responsible for the uplifting of dog faeces from the street. This work is undertaken by Waste Services. As the dog bin collection round is running at capacity they will ask whether the community can identify an underused bin that can be relocated. Contact ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778 to give details.

Can I request a dog bin in my area?

Yes. A request for a dog bin in a particular area can be made to the neighbourhood services waste management inspector via ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778. There are, however, a very limited number of bins available each year to extend the overall number of bins in place. The waste management inspector will evaluate any request and advise you of the decision.

Can I request a dog sign for my area?

Yes. Requests for signs advising of the penalties for allowing dogs to foul footpaths and parkland should be made to the Dog Warden Service via ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778. The Wardens will evaluate the request and either erect a sign, or notify you of the reasons if they do not consider a sign to be suitable for the area.

How do I report owners who allow their dogs to foul?

If you know the person's name and address you can report this to ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778. The information will be passed to an authorised officer who can discuss the need to pick up after their pet with the owner. Any information passed to the authorised officer is treated in the strictest confidence.

The authorised officers of the local authority as well as police officers are empowered to issue fixed penalty notices for failing to clear up after your dog has fouled in a public place. It is possible to be convicted of this offence on the evidence of one witness but in practical terms if you wish to make a statement concerning an offence the police or Local Authority officer would look for a second statement from another witness to the offence before issuing a fixed penalty notice.

The Dog Wardens, Community Wardens, Parks supervisors and Environmental Management Officers are all authorised local authority officers in terms of this legislation.

You should contact your local police station to report any offender or Angus Council via ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778.

What is being done about those who allow their dogs to foul public places?

All police officers and authorised officers of the local authority are empowered by The Dog Fouling (Scotland) Act 2003 to issue fixed penalty notices (£40) to any person in charge of a dog who after it has fouled in a public place fails to immediately remove the excrement and dispose of it in a suitable receptacle (dog bin, public litter bin or your own refuse bin).

A person who offends can be convicted on the evidence of one witness, Angus Council's authorised officers have been active in enforcing the provisions of this legislation. They routinely carry out enforcement patrols in Angus, and any person found committing an offence is issued with a fixed penalty fine of £40. This raises automatically to £60 if it is not paid within 28 days a person who persistently offends, or where an officer feels that payment is unlikely to be made, may be reported under the Act to the procurator fiscal as an alternative to being issued a fixed penalty where the maximum fine available to the court is £500.

Who do I contact for further information?

Tel: ACCESSLine 08452 777 778

Download Promoting Responsible Dog Ownership booklet (225 KB PDF) Opens in a new window Opens in a new window.

Service Page: dogs.htm
Service Details Last Reviewed : 6 September 2013

Get Adobe Reader Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. If you don't have it, download it free from