Angus CouncilTel: 08452 777 778

A-Z of Services

A-Z Home | Service List | Index | Mobile A-Z

Online Options for this Service

Frequently Asked Questions


To take part in any election, you must be listed on the electoral register for the area in which you live. The Electoral Registration Officer, Tayside Valuation Joint Board is responsible for the registration of electors in Angus (see Voter Registration A-Z page).

The Returning Officer is responsible for the administration of all statutory elections in Angus.

For more information on any current or previous elections, please visit our dedicated Election pages.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for elections and who do I contact if I have a query on elections?

Under the direction of the Returning Officer, a dedicated Election Team is set up in the run up to an election. They are responsible for running all elections including the election of local councillors, MSP's, MP's and MEP's for the area.

Outwith an election period, the day to day administration of elections is carried out by the Projects and Elections Officer, who is based in the Legal & Democratic Services Division of the Resources Directorate.

For more information on any current or previous elections please visit our dedicated elections webpage and archive (see links above.)

How do I cast my vote?

Shortly before polling day you will receive a Poll Card which will contain your own unique electoral registration reference number and tell you where you should go to cast your vote. However, you do not have to visit a polling station to vote if you prefer you can arrange to vote by post. If you are unable to vote in person, in certain circumstances you may be able to appoint a person to vote on your behalf. For more information on applying for a postal or proxy vote contact the Electoral Registration Officer, Tayside Valuation Joint Board, tel: 01307 462416.

If I lose my poll card, can I still vote?

Yes, you do not require a poll card in order to cast your vote. Showing your poll card at the Polling Station does, however, help the staff on duty find your entry on the Electoral Register more quickly.

Who do I contact for more information?

Shona Cameron - Projects and Elections Officer

Legal & Democratic Services
Angus House
Orchardbank Business Park
Forfar DD8 1AN

Tel: 01307 476226

Service Page: elections.htm
Service Details Last Reviewed : 1 May 2014

Get Adobe Reader Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. If you don't have it, download it free from