Angus CouncilTel: 08452 777 778

A-Z of Services

A-Z Home | Service List | Index | Mobile A-Z

Online Options for this Service

Frequently Asked Questions

Recycling Centres - Household Waste

A staffed recycling centre is provided in each town in Angus, allowing the disposal of various recyclable materials, bulky items and general waste by Angus householders.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the recycling centres in Angus?

There are also Neighbourhood Recycling Points (NRPs) and Glass Banks located throughout Angus.

When are the recycling centres open?

Each recycling centre is open as follows:

Please note, you must be finished offloading before closing time.

Exceptions to these opening hours occur during the Festive Season, when centres are typically closed on the 25 and 26 December and 1 and 2 January - any changes will be announced in the local press.

What help is available at the recycling centres?

All containers are clearly labelled to show the items they accept. Each centre is staffed by an attendant who will offer help and advice on how to use the centre i.e. which bins, containers or skips to use. It is the responsibility of the recycling centre customer to ensure that they, or someone else with them, are physically able to offload any bulky or heavy items that they wish to dispose of at the centre.

What items are accepted for recycling?

Batteries (Household)

Batteries such as those used in household toys or cameras are accepted in the grey battery box. The different types of batteries accepted are as follows:

The batteries are uplifted by Mercury Recycling and taken to Manchester for sorting before being sent for recycling.


Bikes can be recycled in the scrap skip. Unfortunately we cannot currently accept bikes for reuse but are actively seeking a sustainable outlet and hope that we can do so again in the future.


Food and drinks cans, aerosol cans and biscuit tins are accepted. Please ensure that cans are rinsed out and that aerosol cans are empty, with plastic lids removed where possible.

Steel cans are collected by various reprocessors, and turned into items such as steel piping or steel cans. Aluminium cans are smelted at Novelis in Cheshire; this re-processed aluminium is generally used to make more aluminum cans.

Car batteries

Accepted from householders only, thus large (or other) commercial batteries must be disposed of via an appropriate contractor.

Our batteries are uplifted by a local scrap merchant and transported to a re-processor in Aberdeen where the batteries are broken down; the lead and acid component is removed and recycled and the plastic casing is recycled.


Please stack flattened cardboard in the cardboard container, and ensure that any contaminants have been removed i.e. polystyrene, shrink-wrapped plastic or string.

Cardboard is collected by two different companies - some cardboard is re-processed in the UK and some is ultimately shipped to China to make new cardboard.

Cooking oil

Small quantities of waste household cooking oil are accepted (cooled and poured into a juice bottle for example) - please see the on-site attendant.

Cooking oil is collected by Olleco and re-processed into biofuel at the UK's first large scale biodeisel plant near Motherwell.

Electrical and electronic equipment

All household electrical items are accepted for recycling. There are five different categories collected separately, as follows:

  1. Fridges and freezers
  2. Large electrical appliances such as cookers and washing machines
  3. Small electrical appliances such as kettles and toasters
  4. Televisions and monitors
  5. Fluorescent tubes and low energy lightbulbs

If you are unsure which waste stream your electrical item should go in please ask the attendant for help. The above items are collected by Viridor and taken to their site at Perth, where they are broken up into various components which are then dispersed all over the world.

Engine Oil

Small quantities of waste engine oil can be brought by householders only - strictly no hydraulic oils (i.e brake fluid) or other oils.

Waste engine oil is collected by Northburn Industrial Services and re-processed in the Uddingston oil refinery into recovered fuel oil, which is generally used as a start-up fuel in power stations.

Fridges and freezers

Domestic fridges and freezers only are accepted. These items are taken to Viridor at Perth, where they are broken down into metals, plastics and foam, 95% of which are recycled.

Garden waste

Green garden waste can be disposed of in the garden skip. Small branches are accepted, but larger pieces of wood can cause problems - please see the site attendant for correct disposal.

Green waste is taken to the council run composting facility at Restenneth, near Forfar, where the green waste is shredded into small pieces and formed into "windrows". The windrows are long rows of compostable waste, up to three metres high and sixty metres long, which are turned at regular intervals to encourage the breakdown of the waste. When the waste has broken down sufficiently it is used as a soil conditioner or for land restoration.

Commercial traders bringing in garden waste must produce a disposal voucher before offload.

Gas bottles

Gas bottles are accepted from householders only, and are stored on site within a wire cage until uplifted by the appropriate supplier. Householders are requested to first seek to return their gas bottle to where it was bought from.


Separate bins are provided for different colour streams, as follows:

Please rinse glass to remove food remnants etc. and remove lids.

The glass collected in Angus is transported to the O.I. (Ohio Illinois) re-processing plant in Alloa where it is crushed into "cullet", which is used to make new glass bottles and jars.

Liquid food and drinks cartons

Paper based food and drinks cartons such as fruit juice cartons, custard, soups etc. are accepted; please rinse cartons.

Cartons can be recycled into plasterboard liner, paper carrier bags and even garden furniture.

Metal lids

Any metal lid from jars or bottles etc accepted in the container attached to the cans recycling bin.

Newspapers and magazines

Newspapers, magazines and brochures, office grade paper, junk mail and telephone directories are accepted. Catalogues, paper-backed books and envelopes (except brown envelopes) can now also be taken in the paper container.

No wallpaper, potato or seed bags please as these are resistant to breaking down, and please don't tie bundles of paper together as string is a contaminant. Hard-backed books or catalogues cannot be taken as their covers are resistant to breaking down, and brown envelopes cannot be taken as they are made from a different type of fibre.

Newspapers and magazines collected in Angus are transported to Shotton Mill in Deeside, North Wales, where they are pulped and recycled back into paper for the newspaper industry.


Plasterboard is accepted at Arbroath, Forfar and Montrose recycling centres and is ultimately recycled back into plasterboard.

Plastic bottles

All plastic household bottles are accepted in separate bins as follows:

Please rinse bottles and remove lids, which can be recycled in the container attached to the bottle recycling bin

Plastic bottles are baled at our sorting depot, and then collected by our buyers. Some plastics are shipped abroad for re-processing and some are sorted and re-processed in the UK.

Lighter (P.E.T.) bottles are turned into polyester fibre, which can be spun to make filling for sleeping bags and mattresses etc; it takes only 25 bottles to make one fleecy jacket. Harder H.D.P.E. bottles can be recycled into guttering, wheelie bins and water butts etc. The green recycling boxes that we use in Angus are made of recycled H.D.P.E.

Plastic carrier bags

Carrier bags are no longer accepted for recycling. However, it is better to re-use your carrier bags or better still, use a re-usable bag when shopping.

Plastic food containers

Mixed plastic food containers are accepted including washed yoghurt and margarine tubs, ready-meal food trays, and fruit and vegetable punnets, etc., which are recycled into water butts and other hard plastic items.

Plastic lids

Plastic lids are accepted in the container attached to the plastic bottles recycling bin, and are recycled to produce water butts and other hard plastic items.


A rubble skip is available at all centres except Brechin and Kirriemuir.

Stone, masonry, sands and gravel, ceramic WC, wash-hand basin or tiles and smaller volumes of earth may be placed in the rubble skip. Rubble is taken to Tayside Contracts in Tayside who will reuse it.

Commercial traders bringing in rubble must produce a disposal voucher before offload.

Scrap metal

Old ironing boards, piping or chicken wire etc can be placed in the scrap metal skip. If you are unsure about an item please seek advice from the site attendant.

Scrap metal is taken to a local scrap merchant for segregation, from where different metal streams are channelled to various re-processors.

Shoes and handbags

All shoes and handbags are accepted. These items are collected by Nathans Waste Savers, and sent to third world countries.

Where shoes and handbags are in good condition please donate to charity.


Spectacles are collected on behalf of Vision Aid Overseas. Spectacles are sorted, cleaned and graded by Specsavers, before being shipped abroad to the developing world. No cases please.


Clothes, bedding and curtains etc. are accepted (but not quilts or pillows). Textiles are collected by Nathans Waste Savers, who sort and grade the textiles before sending to third world countries. Items that cannot be re-used are recycled into wiping rags for the oil industry.

Where textile items are in good condition please donate to charity.

Tin foil

Foil is commonly known as "tin-foil", but actually contains a greater proportion of Aluminium. Only clean foil can be accepted - no crisp packets or other plastic foils please (if it springs back from scruching in your hand it's plastic).

Aluminium foil is ultimately smelted; re-processed aluminium foil is generally used to make engine components or new tin foil.


A wood skip is available at each recycling centre, accepting all types of wood including chipboard.

Wood skips are taken to the DJ Laing recycling site at Petterden, Angus, where the wood is sorted and shredded; some wood is turned into "flake" boards and some is used as biofuel.

Does it cost any money to use the recycling centres?

No, not if you are a private householder. However, if you use a van to transport your waste, you may be asked to fill out a form declaring the waste to be household, as there is a charge for commercial waste - see the Recycling Centres - Commercial Waste page for details.

Are there any recycling facilities in the rural villages of Angus?

Yes. Rural recycling facilities are indicated on the Neighbourhood Recycling Point page.

What is the Kerbside Recycling Service?

See the Kerbside Recycling Service page for full details.

What is the Trial Kerbside Recycling Service?

See the Trial Kerbside Recycling Service page for full details.

Does Angus Council redistribute recycled furniture and household goods to those in need?

No, however there are organisations you can contact who do. For more information visit the Furniture Reuse A-Z page.

Who do I contact for further information?

Contact us using the Online Enquiries & Requests form or via ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778, or visit your local ACCESS office.

To learn about other ways to reduce, reuse and recycle your waste and save valuable resources, visit the Zero Waste Scotland website or our Waste and Recycling Services page.

Service Page: recyclinghousehold.htm
Service Details Last Reviewed : 23 April 2013

Get Adobe Reader Adobe Reader is required to view the PDF documents on this page. If you don't have it, download it free from