COVID-19: welfare rights and benefits update

Low income pandemic payment

see News item published 17 June

Angus Council Welfare Rights service delivery during COVID-19

We will continue to provide our full service to anyone needing advice in relation to benefits, including benefit checks, help with claims and challenges to decisions. We will also continue to provide debt advice. Our service is no longer operating face to face appointments however and we have no facility for drop-in services at our office bases. All of our staff are currently working remotely. 

Appointments and advice are being provided by telephone or by email where necessary.   The majority of benefit claims can be done online and we can provide telephone support to enable this where necessary.  For anyone requiring help with a paper-based new claim form we will make arrangements with the individual based on their circumstances.

New enquiries

please see our contact details on our webpage. You will also be able to access our online benefit calculator and budgeting tool through our webpages.

Current clients

If you are a current client with an existing case then please continue to contact us through the usual channels, our office telephones have been diverted onto staff mobile phones. 

If you are on Facebook then please like and follow Angus Council Welfare Rights for the latest advice and information.

If you are unable to work or your income has reduced, or you are currently in receipt of benefits there may be new or additional financial support available.

Employed and not claiming benefits

  • If you cannot work due to COVID-19 and are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) you will get it from day one, rather than from the fourth day of your illness.  SSP will be payable if you are staying at home on Government advice, not just if you are infected by COVID-19.
  • If you are a gig worker and/or on a zero-hours contract, you may be entitled to sick pay. Check your eligibility for SSP.
  • If you have been told to self-isolate by the Test and Protect Service, you may be eligible for a Self-Isolation Support Grant. For more Information and the full qualifying criteria please visit the Scottish Government's Support grants page.
  • If you have to self isolate because you have symptoms or live with someone who has symptoms and your employer needs a note you can get an online isolation note online from the NHS website.
  • If you are unable to work and have paid enough national insurance contributions you may be entitled to New Style Jobseekers Allowance or New Style Employment & Support Allowance.  You may be able to top this up with Universal Credit to help with other costs such as housing costs (rent) and additional amounts for children in your household.  
  • For free and impartial advice on COVID-19 employment-related matters please visit ACAS or Citizens Advice Scotland
  • Visit our free online benefit entitlement calculator which is regularly updated with new benefit rates and coronavirus related questions.

Already claiming benefits

  • If you have made a claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Universal Credit or Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) but do not yet have a date for an assessment appointment, you do not need to do anything. You will be contacted shortly by telephone or letter to let you know what will happen next.
  • If you have made a new claim or wish to make a new claim, DWP will continue to take claims for all benefits.  If you require support to complete a benefit claim form then please contact Welfare Rights or Angus CAB.
  • If you are appealing a benefits decision then you will be contacted by HMCTS to advise you about the appeal tribunal.

Jobcentre Appointments and Claimant Commitments

  • If you have a Claimant Commitment, it will be reviewed to make sure it is still reasonable.
  • If you're already claiming UC and  have been affected by COVID-19, please contact your work coach as soon as possible either through your online journal or by calling the UC helpline.

Help with Rent and Council Tax

  • If you are already receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction then you can report your change of circumstances online.
  • If you are receiving Universal Credit and it includes a Housing Element then you should report any change of circumstances via your UC Journal so that you get the correct amount of financial support. 
  • If you are not currently in receipt of any help towards your rent then you may qualify for financial support through Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, which one will depend on your household circumstances.  We recommend you carry out an online benefit calculation in the first instance or contact Welfare Rights or Angus CAB for advice.
  • If you are liable for Council Tax but have no housing costs (e.g. you own your home outright) and have a low income then you may be entitled to a Council Tax Reduction.   We recommend you carry out an online benefit calculation in the first instance or contact Welfare Rights or Angus CAB for advice.
  • If you are not currently in receipt of any financial help towards your Council Tax then you may be eligible for a Council Tax Reduction depending on your household circumstances. 

Help with mortgage

  • Please contact your lender to enquire about payment breaks.  
  • If you are claiming certain benefits you may be entitled to Support for Mortgage Interest..

Crisis Grants

  • A Crisis Grant can be given to cover the costs of a financial emergency.  Some examples include; your circumstances have changed due to redundancy or a change in income; you are a victim of any type of abuse and you need help with things like moving away from an abuser; you have had a flood or fire in your home.  Crisis Grants do not have to be repaid.  Please also see information relating to Community Care Grants.


Benefits advice for self-employed people can be more complex.

If you have paid National Insurance (NI) contributions you may be able to claim New Style Employment & Support Allowance to replace your income depending on your situation:

  • If you are unwell or having to self-isolate you may qualify for New Style ESA if you have paid enough NI contributions. If you haven't paid enough NI contributions you may be in a position to pay voluntary contributions so that New Style ESA can be paid (although you will have to wait 8 weeks before your New Style ESA can be paid).  
  • New Style ESA is paid fortnightly in arrears.
  • If struggling financially in the meantime you should apply for a Crisis Grant.

If you don't pay NI contributions or haven't paid enough you may qualify for Universal Credit (UC) to replace your income:

  • Making a claim for UC will end any claims for legacy benefits that are in payment.  Legacy benefits are Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Housing benefit.  If you are receiving any of these benefits we would recommend that you seek advice from Welfare Rights or Angus CAB before claiming UC.
  • If you were to claim Universal Credit then you will not receive your first payment for five weeks but you can apply for a repayable advance payment, if you wish to do so. 


Students experiencing financial difficulties should contact their Student Support Services.  In certain circumstances students may also be entitled to Universal Credit.


For further information relating to Students and Universal Credit please visit CPAG’s Coronavirus and Universal Credit for Students information page, or contact Welfare Rights or Angus CAB for advice.