Electoral register

To take part in any election, you must be on the Electoral Register ‒ the list of everyone who is registered to vote in a local area. The Electoral Registration Officer is responsible for compiling the Electoral Register.

You are not automatically registered even if you pay council tax.

There are two versions of the electoral register – the full Electoral Register and an edited version known as the Open Register.

All electors’ details will appear on the Electoral Register, but you can choose to have your details excluded from the Open Register.

The Electoral Register is used for elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for credit.

The Open Register is available for general sale and can be used for commercial activities such as marketing.

To be entered on the Electoral Register you must be a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK.

Copies of the register are available for inspection in all libraries in Angus.