Apply for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction

Who is eligible

You can claim Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction if you are responsible for paying rent/council tax for the property you live in and:

  • have a low income, from benefits or work including self-employment
  • are moving from benefits into work
  • have savings of less than £16,000

You may still get Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction if your savings are more than £16,000 but you or your partner gets the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

The amount you will get depends on a number of factors. More information is available from the UK Government’s Housing Benefit guide.

You can calculate the amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax reduction you may be entitled to by completing our online benefits calculator.