Dog breeding establishment
Up to 10 dogs:
- New licence: £343
- Renewal: £193
More than 10 dogs:
- New licence: £434
- Renewal: £222
Conditions attaching this licence:
- Dogs must at all times be kept in accommodation suitable with regard to construction, size of quarters, numbers of occupants, exercising facilities, temperatures, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
- Dogs must be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding material, adequately exercised and visited at suitable intervals.
- All reasonable precautions must be taken to prevent and control the spread among dogs of infections and contagious diseases.
- Appropriate steps must be taken for the safety of dogs in the event of fire or other emergency.
- Steps must be taken to ensure that the dogs will be adequately provided with suitable, food, drink and bedding material and adequately exercised when being transported to or from the breeding establishment.
- that bitches are not mated if they are less than one year old
- that bitches do not give birth to more than six litters of puppies each
- that bitches do not give birth to puppies before the end of the period of twelve months beginning with the day on which they last gave birth to puppies; and
- that accurate records in a form prescribed by regulations are kept at the premises and made available for inspection there by any officer of the local authority, or any veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner, authorised by the local authority to inspect the premises
Applying for a licence
A Breeding establishment means any premises where four or more litters of puppies are bred in a 12 month period.
Applicants for a licence may be issued if the applicant is not disqualified under any of the following Acts:
- The Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 & 1991
- The Pet Animals Act 1951
- The Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- The Protection of Animals ( Cruelty of Dogs) Scotland Act 1934
- Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999
Where a licence is granted the licence will remain in force for one year and will be required to be renewed annually.