Register your marriage

Covid-19 - changes to marriage registration

You can be married in either of the following ways:

  • a religious marriage
  • a civil marriage, which can take place in a registration office or at an approved venue.

For more information on wedding venues in Angus, and the type of ceremonies available from our registrars service please visit our help to plan your wedding pages.

      Each of you must complete and submit a marriage notice, along with the required documents and the appropriate fee, to the registrar for the district where the marriage is to take place.

      Please note our registrars offices in Montrose, Arbroath and Forfar, operate by appointment only. 

      For more information, and to download a marriage notice form, visit the National Records of Scotland website. Marriage notice forms are also available from Angus registration offices.

      After your marriage has been registered, you will receive a certificate of the marriage entry in the register.

      Additional extracts can be obtained at the time of registration, or within a month, for £10 each. After a month the cost will be £15 for the first extract then £10 per subsequent extract.