Home education

If you wish to educate your child at home and he/she is currently at school you need our permission to withdraw your child and to confirm that you are assuming responsibility for their education.

This must be done in writing to the Head of Schools and Learning, Angus House, Orchardbank Business Park, Forfar DD8 1AE.

You do not need our consent if your child:

  • has never attended a public school
  • has never attended a public school in the authority’s area
  • is being withdrawn from an independent school

You do not need our permission but must inform us if you plan to home educate your child and:

  • he/she has finished primary education in one school but has not started secondary education in another
  • the school your child has been attending has closed

The Scottish Government’s home education guidance gives more information.