Information for children and young people

Health information and medical examinations

Sometimes you may need to see a doctor. 

This is to:

  • find out if you are well or need any treatment
  • look out for any injuries you might have — this will help the social worker and police officer decide what should happen next

Medical examinations may be carried out by:

  • your family doctor
  • a children's doctor
  • doctors with special knowledge of protecting children

The workers will want to ask the person looking after you to agree for you to have a medical examination.

Depending on your age and how well you understand, we will usually ask you to agree to any interview or medical examination.

You will be asked by the social worker or police officer who you would like to be with you.

It could be:

  • the person looking after you
  • the social workers or police officer
  • someone who knows you well

 A doctor will examine you:

  • at your health centre
  • in a hospital
  • at a centre in Dundee

You can ask the doctor questions after the examination. The workers with you can also explain what the doctor thought about your health. If you have questions afterwards, ask the workers.

Remember you have a right to be:

  • treated with respect and given privacy
  • involved in the decisions about the medical examination
  • told what the doctor thought about your health 

The Cool2Talk website is a confidential place for young people to freely ask questions about things that are affecting them. Get a response within 24 hours.