EU citizens

Arrivals after 1 January 2021

EU citizens who arrived in the UK for the first time on or after 1 January 2021 cannot apply for Settled Status or Pre-Settled Status. They arrive as Short Term Visitors.

If they wish to remain for more than 6 months, they must apply for a Long Term Visa (for example, to study, work or join a family member).

Non-EU family members of EU citizens can only enter the UK after 1 January 2021 if they already have one of:

  • EUSS family permit
  • UK-issued EEA family permit
  • UK-issued biometric residence card

Further information

Scottish Government

Stay in Scotland

Citizens Advice Scotland

  • Angus Citizens Advice
  • Arbroath Office: 01241 870661
  • Montrose Office: 01674 673263
  • Forfar Office: 01307 467096