Selling fireworks

Retailers can sell fireworks without a sales licence at certain times of year if they hold an explosives licence. Those periods are:

  • the day of Chinese New Year and three days before (dates vary from the end of January to mid February)
  • the day of Diwali and three days before (dates vary from mid to end October to early November);
  • around 5 November, specifically 15 October to 10 November
  • between Christmas and New Year, specifically 26 to 31 December

Fireworks can be sold all year round if the seller has a fireworks sales licence that costs £500. Please contact our trading standards service via ACCESSLine on 03452 777 778 for more information.

Generally, fireworks can only be sold to anyone over 18 years of age.

Some fireworks, particularly indoor fireworks such as party poppers, can be sold to those over 16 years of age.

It is the retailer's responsibility to determine the age of the potential buyer.

By law retailers must also display a notice giving information on the age restrictions that apply and a warning on the use of fireworks.

Fireworks sold in the UK must meet an appropriate standard. Fireworks for sale to the public should either be marked BS 7114 OR be CE marked. Some types of fireworks are banned in the UK such as bangers, mini rockets and jumping crackers.

Members of the public cannot buy fireworks for professional displays which are known as category 4 fireworks.