The UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), tailored by the Data Protection Act 2018, explains the general data protection regime applicable to the council.
The Data Protection Act 2018 controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government. Everyone responsible for using personal data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:
- used fairly, lawfully and transparently
- used for specified, explicit purposes
- used in a way that is adequate, relevant and limited to only what is necessary
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
- kept for no longer than is necessary
- handled in a way that ensures appropriate security, including protection against unlawful or unauthorised processing, access, loss, destruction or damage
For more information visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website.