Apply for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are either:

1. Over state pension age and pay rent for the property you live in

(This does not apply if you are part of a couple where one person is under state pension age. Apply for Universal Credit instead.)


2. Working age and

  • pay rent for the property you live in and
  • live in accommodation classed as temporary, or where you are provided with support, care or supervision (specified accommodation) by or on behalf of your landlord

Your landlord should be able to advise if you live in one of these property types.

If you do not fall into one of the above categories and need help with your housing costs, apply for Universal Credit.

Council tax reduction

You can also claim Council Tax Reduction if you pay Council Tax for the property you live in.

To claim both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you must also:

  • have a low income, from benefits or work including self-employment or
  • are moving from benefits into work, and
  • have savings of less than £16,000

If you have more than £16,000 in savings but you or your partner get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit you may still be eligible.

How much you will get

The amount you get depends on a number of factors. More information is available from the UK Government’s Housing Benefit guide.

Calculate the amount you may be entitled to with our online benefits calculator.


To apply for housing benefit/Council Tax reduction complete our online form.

Before starting read our Privacy Statement. It explains how we use your personal information.

Apply for housing benefit/Council Tax reduction

Local housing allowance

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is Housing Benefit for private tenants. You can find out more on the Scottish Government website.