Consultation on the reintroduction of car parking charges in Angus
In February 2018 (Report 59/18) Angus Council approved the introduction of car parking charges for both on-street and off-street parking.
Charges are being reintroduced to allow the council to protect vital services across our communities at a time of radical reductions to local authority funding. The charges will also ensure that quality off street car parking is enhanced throughout Angus for both local shoppers and visitors. Blue Badge holders will continue to be able to park for free.
We want to make our parking charges simple, clear and easy to understand but we want to know what people think.
The approval has set the following:
- Charges will apply for on-street parking up to a maximum of two hours, with no return within one hour
- Charges will apply for off-street car parking up to a maximum of two hours in short stay Angus Council car parks, with no return within one hour
- Charges will apply for off-street car parking in long stay Angus Council public car parks for up to nine hours per day. There will be no maximum off-street stay for long stay car parks where a valid ticket is displayed
- An anticipated income will be generated by the car park charging trading account, which will contribute to the annual savings required in the Angus Council Change Programme with any surplus being utilised for transport related projects
The current timescale for implementation of the car parking charges is as follows:
- Consultation on the detailed implementation – April to May 2018
- Traffic Regulation Orders – April to August 2018
- Purchase and installation of the car parking ticket machines – March to September 2018
- Public and Business Awareness Campaign for the car park charges – August to September 2018
- Start of car parking charges – 1 October 2018