Flood and sandbag advice for residents and businesses

The responsibility for protection of private property during a flood lies with owners and not the council or any other agency.

The following measures are recommended to protect your property from flooding. You can also get advice on how to protect your property on the Floodline website.

Flood protection products

It is recommended that purpose made flood protection products are used to protect property, such as flood guards, non-return valves for plumbing and air brick covers.

Alternative products, such as barriers, often provide more effective long term protection, are more easily deployed and have greater reliability when fitted correctly. You can find information on the Scottish Flood Forum website.


It is strongly recommended that householders and businesses take out appropriate flood insurance, particularly if they are in a flood risk area.

Flood Re is a government backed flood insurance scheme which gives people living in flood-risk areas access to affordable home insurance. To find out more visit the Flood Re website.


Advice on how to use sandbags properly can be found at the gov.uk website.

Sandbags are available from most builders supply merchants or DIY centres.

In emergency situations only, depending on resources available and the scale of the flood risk, the council will seek to provide sandbags to property owners and deploy sandbags to redirect flows and protect properties at risk.

For more information on how we manage the demand for sandbags, and support flood specific and general resilience efforts through community flood action groups, self help and emergency plans/response actions, view our Property Level Protection Policy.

Weather and travel information

Weather and travel information and advice can be found at:

You can also follow the council on Twitter and Facebook for updates during severe weather.

Advice for driving in wet weather can be found at Police Scotland's winter road safety page.