Apply for Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction

You can only claim Housing Benefit if you are responsible for payment of rent in the property you live in and:

  • you are over state pension age. If you are a member of a mixed age couple this does not apply and you should make an application for Universal Credit. (Mixed age couple means a couple where one person is over state pension age and the other  is under state pension age)

or you are working age and:

  • live in accommodation which is classed as temporary, or
  • live in accommodation where you are provided with support, care or supervision (specified accommodation) by or on behalf of your landlord

Your landlord should be able to advise if you live in one of these property types.

If you do not fall into one of the above categories and need help with your housing costs, you should make an application for Universal Credit.

You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you are responsible for paying Council Tax for the property you live in.

To claim both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you must also:

  • have a low income, from benefits or work including self-employment, or
  • are moving from benefits into work, and
  • have savings of less than £16,000

You may still get Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction if your savings are more than £16,000 but you or your partner get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

The amount you will get depends on a number of factors. More information is available from the UK Government’s Housing Benefit guide.

You can calculate the amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax reduction you may be entitled to by completing our online benefits calculator.

To apply for housing benefit/Council Tax reduction please complete our online form.

Before starting this form, please read our Revenues and Benefits Privacy Statement for details on how we will use your personal information.

apply for housing benefit/Council Tax reduction

Local housing allowance (LHA) is the way that housing benefit is paid to tenants of private landlords. You can find out more on the Scottish Government website.