Ending your council tenancy

If you wish to give up your tenancy you can do so in writing, by letter or email (no termination form is required). You must give 28 days’ notice.

Your letter or email can be short but must contain:

  • your name and the names of any other joint tenant
  • the address of the property
  • your forwarding address
  • the date you are leaving – but note you must give 28 days’ notice
  • your reason for leaving
  • the signatures of all tenants
  • the name of your gas and/or electricity supplier

Please don't take the top up key or card with you when you leave. You won’t be able to use them at your new address. Leave them in one of the kitchen drawers.

If emailing, send it to your local housing office:

If you are writing a letter, post it to your local housing office:

  • Arbroath/Carnoustie/Monifieth: Dewar House, 12-14 Hill Terrace, Arbroath DD11 1AJ
  • Brechin/Montrose: Townhouse, High Street, Montrose DD10 8QW
  • Forfar/Kirriemuir: Montrose Road Centre, Montrose Road, Forfar DD8 2HT


After 28 days (or sooner if you wish), your housing officer will arrange the collection of keys. 

Do not hand keys in at ACCESS offices/libraries or post them to the housing office.