If you wish to give up your tenancy you can do so in writing (no termination form will be required). You must give 28 days’ notice.
Your letter can be short but must contain
- your name and the names of any other joint tenant
- the address of the property
- your forwarding address
- the date you are leaving – but note you must give 28 days’ notice
- your reason for leaving
- the signatures of all tenants
Deliver your letter to your local housing office. After 28 days (or sooner if you wish) deliver your keys to the same office. Remember to put your keys in an envelope and write your address on the envelope.
- Arbroath/Carnoustie/Monifieth: Dewar House, 12-14 Hill Terrace, Arbroath DD11 1AJ
- Brechin/Montrose: Townhouse, High Street, Montrose DD10 8QW
- Forfar/Kirriemuir: Montrose Road Centre, Montrose Road, Forfar DD8 2HT
The current Government advice is you should only move house if the property you are moving into is empty.