A mutual exchange is when two or more tenants wish to swap their properties.
A tenant can exchange with:
- another Angus Council tenant
- a tenant of a registered social landlord
- a tenant of another council
A mutual exchange ends the tenant's current tenancy and a new one is started. A tenant cannot exchange their property without permission from their landlord.
Please send any completed paper forms to your local Community Housing Team at one of the addresses below:
- Arbroath, Carnoustie and Monifieth: Bruce House, Wellgate, Arbroath DD11 3TP
- Brechin and Montrose: Angus House, Orchardbank Business Park, Orchardbank, Forfar DD8 1AN
- Forfar and Kirriemuir: County Buildings, Market Street. Forfar DD8 3WE
If you need help to use the House Exchange website, please contact us using our enquiry form.
You should check the condition of the other property as once the exchange has taken place, you are responsible for the property.
You should also agree with the other tenant if anything is to be left such as carpets or curtains.
Check the tenancy agreement of the other tenant to make sure you know if there are any differences to your current tenancy.
If you are a joint tenant, all tenants must agree to the exchange.