Landlord and tenant disputes

If you have an unresolved dispute with your landlord/tenant you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber).

The tribunal helps tenants and landlords resolve their differences. It hears disputes on:

  • rents
  • repairs
  • deposits
  • tenancy agreements
  • access for landlords to their properties

Rented properties must meet the repairing standard at the beginning of the tenancy. It is the tenants' responsibility to inform the landlord if the property drops below this standard.

The tribunal also acts to resolve disputes between homeowners and property factors.

The Chamber also receives applications for:

  • rent assessments
  • drawing up of terms
  • evictions and other non-criminal matters arising from the new Private Residential Tenancy (Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act 2016 refers)and cases arising from the (Housing (Scotland) Act 2014