Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC)

RAAC is a reinforced form of lightweight concrete mainly used in flat roofs but also in some floor and wall panel construction in the UK from the mid-1950s to the mid-1990s.  

For further information surrounding the use of RAAC, the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Structural Engineers have published helpful guides and FAQs that may address your concerns and questions.  


Following a survey carried out in 2021, no Angus Council school buildings were identified as containing Reinforced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC).

Non-Educational Buildings 

We are currently carrying out inspections of our non-educational buildings including council housing for the presence of RAAC.

As part of these investigations, we have identified that RAAC was used in the construction of the roof of Rosehill Resource Centre.   

A structural engineer has made a full inspection of the roof at Rosehill and has found that the RAAC roof panels are in good condition and there is no cause for concern. The Centre can continue to be open and operate as normal. We will undertake annual inspections and will implement remedial works as required.  


We have identified that RAAC has been used in the construction of council and former council properties in Angus.

All relevant Angus Council tenants have been contacted to undertake preliminary and precautionary inspections of all suspected properties where RAAC may be present. These inspections allow us to gather essential information to determine if RAAC is present, and bring forward a programme of repairs, if required. 

Former council owned properties where we are confident RAAC was used in the construction have also been contacted and advice provided.

Primary investigations show that the number of affected properties represents only a very small proportion of our total housing stock.

If you are a homeowner or landlord and you suspect or have been made aware that RAAC could have been used in the construction of your property, you may wish to consult your own professional advisors including a building surveyor or structural engineer and speak with your home insurance company for further advice.  

If you are a private tenant and you suspect or have been made aware that RAAC could have been used in the construction of your property, you should speak with your landlord in the first instance to discuss your concerns.  

Reputable building surveyors and structural engineers in your local area can be found here: 

RICS - Find a surveyor 

The Institution of Structural Engineers 

Additional Advice and Support

If you need additional support and advice relating to your health and wellbeing or finances, there are a number of resources available to you: 

Mental Health, wellbeing, suicide prevention and crisis support 

Angus Health & Social Care Partnership Mental Health and Wellbeing support 

Citizens Advice Scotland