Firework control zones

Fireworks and the law

  • It is illegal and an offence for the general public to throw or cast or fire any firework in or into any highway, street, thoroughfare or public space (this includes to throw or fire from a private place into a public place, street, highway and so on).
  • It is illegal for the general public to use fireworks before 6pm or after 11pm (this extends to midnight on 5 November and 1am on Hogmanay, Chinese New Year and Diwali).
  • It is illegal for adults to buy or supply fireworks to anyone under the age of 18, with the exception of F1 fireworks.
    Examples of F1 fireworks include party poppers, novelty crackers and certain sparklers.  The category of firework is legally required to be displayed on product packaging.

Further information is available on the Scottish Fire and Rescue website.

What are firework control zones?

A firework control zone is an area within a local authority's boundaries in which it is a criminal offence for a member of the public to ignite a firework, including on private property such as a garden. It is also an offence to fire a firework into the boundaries of a zone, or to knowingly or recklessly throw or cast a lit firework into a zone. This does not apply to category F1 fireworks, which will still be permitted within firework control zones subject to any other legal controls on their use. Category F1 fireworks are indoor or close proximity fireworks with minimal safety distances. These can include sparklers, novelty items, indoor fireworks, and party poppers.

Why do they exist?

This is an option that can be used as one part of a specific targeted response to issues associated with firework use.

The power for local authorities to designate a place or places as firework control zones within their boundaries came into force on 22 June 2023. This is a key measure within the Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Articles (Scotland) Act 2022, which aims to support a cultural shift in the relationship that Scotland has with fireworks.

If I have a concern about fireworks, what can I do?

Report fireworks misuse or deliberate fire raising to Police Scotland by calling 101. In an emergency ALWAYS dial 999.

For concerns over the sale of fireworks, visit our Trading Standards information page.

Community requests for a firework control zone in Angus only

Should you feel there is an ongoing problem around fireworks in your area and the services mentioned above have been unable to resolve it, then a community request can be made by any community of interest for a firework control zone.

Please email for more details.

The council will then make contact with you and provide further details on the evidence and information required to take forward the request. If the process is taken forward there is a requirement for the council to consult with necessary stakeholders on the proposal in line with the legislation. This process could take a number of months. Further detailed information will be provided by the council when any request is made.