Bus pass (National Entitlement Card)

To apply for, renew or replace a bus pass / National Entitlement card (NEC) upload the relevant supporting evidence to our general enquiry form.

Please note we cannot proceed without the uploaded evidence.

Card type Evidence to upload
New 60+ applicants
  • a recent passport type photograph
  • proof of age (for example: birth certificate, passport, driving licence)
  • proof of your current address (for example: official letter or utility bill)
New disabled applicants
  • a recent passport type photograph
  • proof of disability (from eligibility list below)
  • proof of current address (official letter or utility bill etc)
  • date of birth

Disabled people eligibility

If you're a resident in Scotland, and meet one of the following criteria, you're entitled to free bus travel with the National Entitlement Card (NEC):

  • You receive the higher rate of the mobility component or the higher or middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance, you receive Attendance Allowance or you receive Personal Independence Payment. A copy of your award letter from the DWP confirming your eligibility is required. The letter must be dated within the last 12 months. For details on getting your letter, please contact the Disability benefits helpline.
  • You live in a care/residential home or hospital and are eligible for the higher or middle rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance, or Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance. In many cases DWP benefit may be suspended whilst someone is in care or hospital – in that case you can provide a letter from the hospital/care home confirming that you live there and receive 24 hour care.
  • You are a Blue Badge holder. Blue Badge details or your latest V11 vehicle licensing reminder from DVLA or DLA404 from the Department for Work and Pensions is required when you apply for your pass. Please note that a valid Blue Badge issued outside Scotland, in the rest of the UK or by the authorities of another EU member state will be acceptable.
  • You are profoundly or severely deaf. A recent letter from your Audiologist, Hospital Consultant or Registered Society for the Deaf when you apply. The letter must show that you have bilateral hearing loss greater than or equal to 70dBHLs averaged over 1, 2 and 4KHz. If you have been deaf since birth, a letter from your GP confirming this is fine too.
  • You have a sight impairment.
    If you are aged 16 and over you will need to provide a copy of the Certificate of Vision (CVI) Scotland form. As of 1 April 2018 the CVI Scotland form replaced the previous BP1 form.
    If you are aged under 16 you should provide a letter from a VINCYP team member Visual Impairment Network for Children and Young People . You can also provide a letter from a health professional such as an ophthalmologist or paediatrician which states that you ‘meet the criteria for visual impairment as defined by VINCYP'. In addition, parents / carers of children and young people under 16 with a visual impairment may be able to use letters from other registered societies or voluntary sector organisations supporting people with sight loss (where they are happy to provide such a letter).
  • You have been told not to drive based on medical grounds. The DVLA confirmation letter is required as evidence when you apply showing that your licence has been revoked or your application has been refused on medical grounds. If you have epilepsy and been told not to drive because you have had a seizure in the last 12 months, you should use the NCT003 certificate. The NCT003 certificate is only valid where the applicant is 16yrs and over (the earliest date they can apply for a provisional licence). Request the certificate from your Local Authority and ask your Hospital Consultant, GP or Epilepsy Specialist Nurse to sign. For other medical conditions where you have been told you would not be allowed to drive and if you were to apply for a licence, would be refused, you may be able to provide a recent letter from your GP or Hospital Consultant depending on your circumstances to confirm this. For further information, please check with your local authority.
  • You have a mental health condition that is recognised under the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 and has lasted for more than a year. You must need to travel to health or social care appointments as part of treatment activities, care or a rehabilitation programme. Your ability to travel must also be impaired. Please contact your Local Authority for advice on how and where to apply.
  • If you have a learning disability and you need to travel to see a Support Worker or get to appointments or activities you will need to get a NCT002a form.
    You have a terminal illness. A copy of your award notice that shows you receive higher or middle rate of Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, or Attendance Allowance when you apply. A DS1500 report, hospice admittance letter or confirmation that you are registered on a Scottish hospice register is also acceptable.
  • You have a progressive degenerative condition. Conditions such as Parkinson's Disease that impede your mobility may entitle you to free bus travel. Ask your hospital consultant or other specialist medical professional who is responsible for providing any treatment and support (such as your Specialist Nurse), to provide a letter confirming that your diagnosed health condition is considered ‘progressive degenerative' and that it severely impedes your mobility and ability to carry out day to day activities. Any letter from a medical professional must clearly confirm these qualifying criteria otherwise it cannot be accepted.
  • You have lost one or more limbs. If you have lost one or both legs, both arms or an arm and a leg you are entitled to free bus travel. Request a letter from your prosthetic clinic/centre, physiotherapist or rehabilitation centre for your application.
  • You are an injured veteran with mobility problems.
  • If you receive a War Pensioner Mobility Supplement you are also eligible. Please provide a letter from Veterans UK or Ministry of Defence in your application.
New Young Person’s Card Please complete the general enquiry form for an application form
Change of address
  • proof of your current address (official letter or utility bill etc)
  • Date of birth and current bus pass card number
Renewals for disabled persons cards Proof of disability (from eligibility list)
Lost/stolen/damaged cards Date of birth

If you are experiencing difficulties doing this please use our web chat facility or contact ACCESSLine on 03452 777 778, please note our phone lines are very busy as we continue with our COVID 19 response to support the most vulnerable in our community, your call wait time may be considerably longer than normal and your patience is appreciated.