What to do if your child needs additional support

All Angus schools support pupils who have additional support needs. Your child may require additional support for a variety of reasons. These include but are not limited to:

  • autism
  • complex needs
  • dyslexia
  • English as an additional language
  • hearing impairment
  • social and emotional needs
  • visual impairment


We have duties under the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 to support children with additional support needs in reaching their full potential.

The type and amount of support will depend on your child’s individual needs. Your child may require an:

  • Individualised Educational Programme (IEP) 
  • Co-ordinated Support Plan (CSP) or
  • Child’s Plan

to help meet these needs. Find out more about these types of support on the Enquire website.

If you have questions about your child's progress or well-being at school, discuss these first with the class teacher or head teacher in primary school, or the pupil care and support teacher in secondary school. Contact the school directly to arrange an appointment.


Assessment helps to identify if your child has additional support needs and what type of support is needed.

The Enquire website has information on what assessment involves, how to ask for an assessment and what happens after your child is assessed.

Other sources of help and advice


The Scottish advice service for additional support needs.

Let's Talk ASN

Offers independent professional or legal advocacy to families and young people who have grounds to make a referral to the Additional Support Needs Tribunal Scotland.

Govan Law Centre Education Law Unit

Works in partnership to support pupils' and parents' rights in education.

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance

Safeguards vulnerable people.


A service for children 12+ which provides advice and information, advocacy support and legal representation. Also seeks children's views about their support.

Dispute resolution 

Some disagreements, such as about the assessment of additional support needs or the level of support, can be referred for written review by an adjudicator independent of the council. Requests for dispute resolution should be made to:

Education and Lifelong Learning
Angus House
Orchardbank Business Park