Early learning and childcare for two-year-olds

Funded early learning and childcare is available to eligible parents and carers of two-year-olds.

Who can apply?

You can get up to 1140 hours of funded early learning and childcare if your child has turned two and you receive one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-based)
  • Incapacity or Severe Disablement Allowance
  • State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and your total household income is £18.725* or less
  • Both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit and your total household income is £8,717* or less
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit and your total household take-home pay** is less than £726* per month

* Income thresholds for Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Universal Credit can vary from year to year.

** "Take-home pay" is the money your household receives from work after tax, National Insurance and pension contributions have been taken off. Your award letter will tell you how much your take-home pay is for the claim period. This should be £726 or less.

Funded places are also available for two-year-olds who are, or have been at any point:

  • looked after by a local council
  • in kinship care
  • have been appointed a guardian
  • the child of a care experienced parent/carer*

* “Care experienced” relates to parents/carers who have been looked after or looked after and accommodated by the local authority at any stage in their life, no matter how short.  This care may have been provided in one of many different settings or through being looked after at home.

We may also offer funded places to two year olds who don’t meet the Scottish Government eligibility criteria.  These requests are considered by Early Years’ Managers using the supporting information provided on the application form.

Settings that offer places for two-year-olds


  • Abbie Childminding
  • Sharon Birkett (childminder)
  • Caroline Cathro (childminder)
  • Susan Crompton (childminder)
  • Friockheim And Kinnell Playgroup
  • Hayshead Playgroup
  • Inverbrothock Playgroup
  • Jeni’s Rainbow Cubs (childminder)
  • Ladybird Playgroup
  • Ladyloan ELC
  • Little Leapers Nursery School
  • Lynda Marr (childminder)
  • Louise McFarlane (childminder)
  • Joanne McKenzie (childminder)
  • McKirday Childminding (childminder)
  • Shaunagh Milne (childminder)
  • Muirfield Playgroup
  • Gemma Robertson (childminder)
  • Rosemount Little Rascals
  • Sweet Home (Childminder)


  • Andover ELC
  • Playspaces Private Nursery
  • Smallworld Nursery


  • Karen Craigie (childminder)
  • ELCC Carnoustie
  • Doreen Hally (childminder)
  • Panmure Preschool
  • Scallywags Nursery


  • Chimes Playgroup
  • Susan Cox (childminder)
  • ELCC Forfar
  • Jack and Jill’s Elite Nursery
  • Keli Tots (childminder)
  • Lemon Tree Nursery
  • Donna McEwing (childminder)
  • Mothergoose Playgroup
  • Shirley Ogg (childminder)
  • Margaret Reid (childminder)
  • Laura Simpson (childminder)
  • Stepping Stones Playgroup
  • Claire Stirton Childminding (Childminder)
  • The Wendyhouse Children’s Nursery
  • Leanne Urquhart (childminder)
  • Strathmore ELC


  • Tiddlywinks
  • Teddy Bear Childcare


  • Ferryden Playgroup
  • Little Beehive Nursery
  • Lochside Playgroup
  • Rompers Private Nursery


  • Eassie Early Years
  • Little Cherubs (childminder)
  • Little Newts Childminding (Childminder)
  • Northmuir ELC
  • Southmuir ELC
  • Sunshine Playschool
  • Wendyhouse Nursery

If your child is 2½ years old and you meet the above criteria places may also be available at:


  • Helping Hands Nursery


  • Charleston Playgroup


  • Grange Playgroup

How to apply

Applications for two-year-olds should be completed no earlier than three months before your child's second birthday.

You will need:

  • details from your child's full birth certificate or passport
  • proof of eligibility for a funded early learning and childcare place
  • contact details of professionals involved with your child (such as GP, health visitor, speech therapist)

When applying for a funded early learning and childcare place you will be asked to upload copies of the following documents.  Where appropriate, the proof of eligibility document should be dated within the past three months, include a full, current postal address and all pages of the benefit:

  • your child’s full birth certificate or passport 


  • proof of eligibility for a funded place *

* the only two reasons when proof is not required is Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and the child of a care experienced parent/carer.

Apply for funded early learning and childcare