If you are a parent or carer and receive any of the following you may be entitled to free school meals for your child:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker's Allowance
- any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and your income is less than £16,105
- both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit and your income is under £6420
- support under the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £610
Pupils who receive any of these benefits in their own right can also claim free school meals.
Entitlement to free school meals is assessed as part of the application process for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction.
If you are not in receipt of Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction and wish to claim Free School Meals/School Clothing Grant use the following online form.
Secondary school pupils will have an allowance of £2.20 per day and if the school operates a swipe card system their entitlement can also be used during the morning break. This amount will be credited to the pupil's cashless catering account on a daily basis and any unused credit will be removed from the pupil's account at the end of the day.
All children in primaries 1 to 3 in local authority schools in Scotland are entitled to free school meals, regardless of their family's income.