All parents, carers and guardians of a child in a school are automatically members of the Parent Forum for that school.
The Parent Forum can choose to set up a Parent Council to represent all of the parents.
The Parent Forum will agree its constitution, including how many members it will have and how they will be selected.
The Parent Council must report back to the Parent Forum about what it is doing at least once a year.
The functions of a Parent Council are:
- supporting the school in its work with pupils and parents
- representing the views of parents
- promoting contact between the school, parents, pupils, providers of nursery education and the community
- reporting to the Parent Forum
- take part in the appointment of senior staff
All Parent Council meetings are open to members of the Parent Forum for that school, and many are open to the public. To find out more about your school's Parent Council, contact the head teacher.