Accommodation for young people leaving care and unaccompanied asylum seekers

We would like to hear from individuals and families who:

  • can offer accommodation and care to a young person aged 16 plus who has been looked after in a residential setting, foster care, home or a kinship placement
  • would consider caring for a young person from another country who is seeking asylum

Our supported lodgings scheme provides young people with the support they need to develop the skills to live independently.

The length of the placement will depend very much on the needs of the young person and their care plan. 

We want people who can make a young person feel comfortable, safe and welcome.

You may come from different walks of life and you may already have experience of working with young people or bringing up your own family. 

In addition, we ask that you are in good health, have a spare room and have a genuine interest in young people.

You must:

  • be warm, caring and patient.
  • be able to form close relationships with young people.
  • want to make a positive difference in a young person's life and to promote their independence.
  • have a good understanding of the issues affecting young people.
  • be supportive to their needs/be advocates for them.
  • live within the Angus area.

In return we offer:

  • support and regular supervision by a Social Worker
  • training
  • payment for you as a carer as well as a payment to care for the young person.
  • Potentially a very fulfilling experience in helping the young person move onto independence.

If you would like more information about becoming a supported lodgings provider, email the supported lodgings supervising social worker on or call 01241 464646 for an informal chat.

If you are interested in making an application, then a home visit will be undertaken to further discuss the process of assessment. 

As part of the assessment you and any other adult members of your household will be asked to consent to a criminal convictions check, a request to your GP to comment on your health, and you will be asked to supply personal references.