Community occupational therapy

The occupational therapy service may be able to help if you have difficulty with:

  • getting in and out of the bath
  • getting in/out of bed
  • on/off a chair or toilet
  • managing steps into your home or stairs inside your home
  • managing everyday activities like making meals or getting dressed

Occupational therapy staff can:

  • provide information, support and guidance
  • advise on how to carry out daily tasks differently
  • undertake a full assessment of need for people affected by a disability
  • advise and recommend equipment that will encourage you to be safer and independent
  • advise on adaptations to your home
  • provide education, support and advice about keeping healthy and making the most of your abilities

The Dundee and Angus Independent Living Centre has a range of equipment and adaptations for people to view and try. You can visit  the centre based at Charles Bowman Avenue, Dundee DD4 9UB Monday – Friday 9am-5pm or phone to arrange an appointment 01382 307631.

Alternatively, you can view the Independent Living Dundee & Angus website to view a range of solutions and advice available.


Anyone can make a referral to the service on your behalf or you can refer yourself directly.


Referrals are prioritised and you may have to wait before we carry out an assessment. If your circumstances change, or if you want to check that we hold the correct information about you, get in touch with First Contact OT using the contact details above.


A member of the team will contact you and if required will visit your home to discuss what aids and adaptations you might need.

We appreciate that some people may not want to wait therefore an easy to use online assessment has been developed where you can answer some questions about how you manage around your home and based on your answers you may be offered minor adaptations (such as grab rails) and/or basic equipment (such as raised toilet seats).

Sight or hearing loss

If you have sight or hearing loss and require an assessment, we have an agreement with North East Sensory Services (NESS) to provide advice and information as well as an assessment of your needs. 

Contact NESS on 0345 271 2345 or 01224 625622 or SMS on 07593 102004


Occupational Therapists work across all types of housing arranging adaptations to remove barriers within the home which prevent independent living.

Following your assessment, if adaptations are required, the responsibility for the cost of these will depend on the type of tenancy you have. We will discuss this with you during the assessment.


A wide range of equipment is available following assessment to allow you to maintain/regain your independence with household tasks. This equipment is provided on a loan basis for as long as you need it.

If equipment has been loaned to you by the equipment loan service and you no longer require this or want to report a fault, contact the equipment store on 01382 307631.

We do not provide any walking aids or wheelchairs.

Wheelchairs are available from the Red Cross on short-term loan. Contact 01307 475072 or 01382 200084.

Walking Aids can be provided by contacting Physiotherapy Tayside NHS:

If you experience difficulty with your mobility you may be entitled to a blue badge.

Visit our help to live at home pages for more information about the support available to help you live at home.