Report a child protection concern

If you believe a child is at immediate risk of harm contact the police on 999.

If you are worried about a child, and think they may be a victim of neglect or abuse, you can report it online.

report a child protection concern

You can also call:


Childline is a free, private service to help anyone under 19  with any issue they’re going through. Call 0800 1111 or visit their website.

What happens when you report a child protection concern

Social workers and the police will investigate any concerns which suggest a child has been harmed or is at risk of harm.

In an investigation, the social worker or police officer will contact the parent/carer as quickly as possible to:

  • make sure the child is healthy and safe
  • protect the child from the actions of any possible offenders
  • tell the parent or carer about the concerns that have been raised

At all times the welfare of the child comes first. 

Depending on the results of the investigation, one of the following might happen:

  • there will be no more action
  • support will be offered to the parent or carer and the child
  • there will be a child protection case conference to decide whether more child protection measures are necessary
  • the person who is a risk to the child may be asked to move out of the family home
  • there may be voluntary arrangements for the child to live with a family member or friend
  • legal action to protect the child
  • referral to the Reporter to the Children's Hearing for Angus who will consider the referral and decide on the need for a children's hearing.

In most cases, children are able to stay at home. Children only need to be taken away from home if the information suggests there is an immediate danger to the child and they cannot be protected within their own family.