Flood recovery support

This page is for people and businesses affected by severe flooding. 

It has details of help and advice from Angus Council and other organisations.

We'll post updates here and on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

Storm Babet flood recovery grants

We are no longer accepting applications for household and business recovery grants.

Get in touch

Anyone who needs our help with an issue that has come about because of Storm Babet can use our Storm Babet enquiry form to get in touch. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Storm Babet enquiry form

Drop-in information centre

Come along and have a cuppy and chat and get support with any issues, concerns and ideas you may have in your community. Every Thursday 9:30am to 12noon at The Crickety, Brechin.

For more information please email us at communityresilience@angus.gov.uk.

The Scottish Flood Forum

The The Scottish Flood Forum is an independent charity which supports individuals and communities to recover from flooding. They can advise you on the insurance claim process and can help you deal with insurers and loss adjusters. If you are a home or business owner who is uninsured then the SFF can give you free advice on the cleaning up process and signpost you to support.

If you want a confidential telephone chat with the SFF call 0131 563 9392.


If you need urgent help with accommodation, regardless of whether you are a council tenant, private tenant or owner occupier get in touch with our housing service via ACCESSLine on 03452 777 778.

We have a dedicated team who are looking at the short and longer term housing needs of people who are affected by the flooding. If you are a housing association tenant please contact your landlord, we are working closely with them to make sure we can meet everyone’s needs.

Housing Team assessing flood damaged properties

Our housing team have been contacting tenants whose homes have been affected by flooding in Brechin. This is in advance of gaining access to properties to begin the process of assessing the damage caused.

We want to hear from you if you haven’t already had contact from us. You can get in touch via the ACCESSLine on 03452 777 778.

Benefits, debt and money advice

If you need to speak to someone, our welfare rights advisors offer free confidential advice on money, debt and benefit issues.

Crisis grants and community care grants

More information and how to apply

Council Tax exemptions

If you have had to move out of your home for an extended period for repairs to be undertaken and the property is left unoccupied and unfurnished, you may be entitled to up to 12 months exemption from council tax if you have a sole or main residence elsewhere and the damaged property is no longer deemed to be your home. 

Details of exemptions and how to apply

Support for businesses

If your business has been impacted by the storm and needs support, our Economic Development team would like to hear from you. Email invest@angus.gov.uk.

Business rates discount

If your business premises has been forced to close, you are unable to trade and you have a rating liability, you may apply for unoccupied rates relief.

Waste and recycling

You should not dispose of any items that are subject to an insurance claim until authorised to do so by your insurers.

Brechin recycling centre

A general waste skip will be at Brechin Recycling Centre for a temporary period to support Brechin residents dispose of flood damaged materials.

You should not dispose of any items that are subject to an insurance claim until you are authorised to do so by your insurer.

Disposal of large and bulky items

Organise a special uplift of large and bulky items.

Trusted traders

Angus is part of the well-established and nationally branded Trusted Trader Scheme

If you're feeling worried and anxious

Mental health, wellbeing and crisis support links

Flood Re 

Flood Re helps households at the highest risk of flooding. It is a re-insurance scheme that makes flood cover more widely available and affordable as part of your home insurance.

Scottish Water

Scottish Water has help and advice on what to do in the event of a flood.