We provide grit on a self-help basis. Grit is for use in public areas, not private paths and drives.
We will remove a grit bin if it is not looked after or repeatedly vandalised.
Report an empty or damaged grit bin
Complete our online form to:
- request a refill for an existing grit bin
- report a damaged grit bin
At busy times we may be dealing with a high number of requests and will deal with your request as soon as we can.
We do not sell salt to the public.
Find your nearest grit bin
Scroll and zoom the map. Grit bins are indicated by a yellow square.
Grit bins on private roads are not the responsibility of the council and do not appear on this map.
Grit bins are located in areas that are not on a priority gritting route.
When deciding on the location of a grit bin, we take into account a number of issues:
- if a route is on a steep slope, a tight bend or particularly prone to icing
- if local residents agree on a suitable location
- where there is special need such as near sheltered housing or a school crossing