Apply for a discretionary housing payment

If you are struggling to pay your rent, a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) will give you time to sort out your finances or find a more affordable place to live.

Who can apply

You can apply for a DHP if you receive Housing Benefit OR Universal Credit that includes a housing element towards rental liability.

If you receive full Housing Benefit you cannot receive a DHP unless:

  • you are applying for a period when you were receiving only partial Housing Benefit
  • you need help to pay a deposit or rent in advance on a new home


Payments will be made along with your Housing Benefit payment. If your Housing Benefit is paid direct to your landlord, your DHP will also be paid direct to your landlord.

If you receive Universal Credit, payment will be made with the same frequency as your Universal Credit payments.

Where the DHP request is for rent in advance or a deposit, the award will normally be paid direct to the landlord.


Before starting this form, please read our Revenues and Benefits Privacy Statement for details on how we will use your personal information.

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

We will look at your circumstances to see:

  • whether you are eligible
  • how much you get paid
  • how long you will receive the payment


If you disagree with our decision you can request a review. Write to:

Revenues and Benefits
Angus Council
Angus House
Sylvie Way
Orchardbank Business Park

within one month of receiving the decision.