Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to help with your rent.


Who can apply for Housing Benefit

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are either:

1. Over state pension age and pay rent for the property you live in.

(This does not apply if you are part of a couple where one person is under state pension age. Apply for Universal Credit instead)


2. Working age and:

  • pay rent for the property you live in and
  • live in accommodation classed as temporary, or where you are provided with support, care or supervision (specified accommodation) by or on behalf of your landlord

Your landlord should be able to advise if you live in one of these property types.

If you do not fall into one of the above categories and need help with your housing costs, apply for Universal Credit.

See also More help with housing costs.

Next: How to apply