What to do when someone has died


Tell Us Once Service

When someone has died we can help you tell the people who need to know using the Tell Us Once service.

This service means that we will contact government organisations and other council services on your behalf.

This video explains what Tell Us Once does:

You can use this service when you visit one of our registrar offices to register a death

We will be able to tell the following organisations:

  • Department for Work and Pensions:
    • pension, disability and carers service
    • Jobcentre Plus
  • Ministry of Defence Service Personnel and Veterans Agency:
    • War Pensions Scheme
  • HM Revenue & Customs:
    • Child Benefit
    • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
    • personal tax
  • Identity and Passport Service:
    • passport cancellation
  • Transport Scotland
    • concessionary travel

The following organisations can also be told at your request:

  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency:
    • Driving Licence cancellation
  • Angus Council:
    • council housing
    • Council Tax
    • Council Tax & Housing Benefits
    • Blue Badges
    • adult services
    • children’s services
    • collection of payment for council services
    • any other council service as appropriate
  • ANGUSalive:
    • libraries

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to:

  • update records
  • end services, benefits and credits
  • resolve any outstanding issues
  • in other ways as the law allows

To ensure that you get the most out of the service it will help if you can provide the following information about the person who has died:

  • their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • their driving licence or driving licence number
  • their passport or passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • their next of kin
  • a surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • the person dealing with their estate

If you are going to provide us with information about these people you must have their permission.

If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and/or give us your date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin or the person who is dealing with the deceased’s estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service if you have their permission to provide their details and act on their behalf.

You can find out more about how we use personal data for Tell Us Once by viewing the Tell Us Once Privacy Statement

You can also use the Tell Us Once service online through the Tell Us Once website. When you register the death, the registrar will give you a unique reference number to use this service.