Single person and other Council Tax discounts

If you live alone you can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill.


If you live with other people but they are all disregarded, you can also claim a 25% discount.


If you live alone and you are disregarded, you don't have to pay Council Tax.

Disregarded people

Certain residents are not counted when we work out how many people live in a property. They are called disregarded.

The categories of person who may be disregarded are:

  • severely mentally impaired people
  • people under 18 years of age
  • people over 18 years of age in respect to whom child benefit is still payable
  • students
  • student nurses
  • apprentices on a low wage
  • youth training trainees
  • prisoners
  • long term hospital patients
  • people in residential care or nursing homes
  • carers or care workers who meet certain criteria
  • members of religious communities who have no income
  • members of international headquarters or defence organisations
  • certain school leavers under 20 years of age

If a property is occupied by:

  • more than one person, and
  • they all fit into one or more of the categories listed above

they may be entitled to a discount or an exemption. Different levels of discounts apply depending on circumstances.


Calculating which discounts and exemptions apply can be complicated. Find out if you are entitled by filling in this form.


Before starting, read our Privacy Statement. It describes how we will use your personal information.

Apply for Council Tax discount