Help with deposits

Most landlords ask for a deposit at the start of a tenancy (normally one month's rent).

If you need help to pay for a deposit for a private rented property you can:

  • make an application for discretionary housing benefit for a rent deposit or rent in advance. You must have had housing benefit in your previous tenancy.
  • apply to our Rent Deposit Scheme where the council can pay the deposit on your behalf and you repay us.