…They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Angus Provost Brian Boyd –
“Tomorrow is Armistice Day when we can all pause and remember the tremendous service and sacrifice of our great Armed Forces, both past and present.
“At 11am tomorrow, we are presented with the opportunity to stop what we are doing and calmly remember and pay respect to those souls who fought and died so that we can live in freedom.
“Whether you are at home or at your work, and if it is possible for you to do so, please take two minutes out of your day to pay silent tribute to their selflessness and bravery.
“We also give thanks to those service men and women who continue to serve our country both at home and throughout the world.
“As they protect and support us, we will support them. Always.
“These are troubled and uncertain times, with all of us made acutely aware of the horrors or war through the constant cycle of news from across the world.
“At a time of such great concern for the future of humanity, we pray for peace. We hope for an armistice and for an end to conflict and the appalling loss of innocent lives.
“Remembrance Sunday will provide us with another chance for quiet reflection - whether alone or with friends and family - and to honour all those who gave their lives in defence of our freedoms.
“There are several services, parades and the laying of wreaths across Angus and I would encourage you, if you are able, to join with others in your community at the events to pay respect to the fallen.
“We will remember them.”
Remembrance Day Services in Angus on Sunday 12 November 2023 –
- 1.30pm Parade will form up at Albert Street, Arbroath (outside Lunan Care Home).
- 1.35pm Parade marches to cenotaph.
- 1.45pm Wreath laying and commemoration.
- 2.15pm Parade will march back to Royal British Legion Scotland (RBLS), Helen Street.
- 2.30pm Parade dismissed and refreshments available at RBLS.
- 10.50am Congregation to be seated for Remembrance Service at Gardner Memorial Church, Southesk Street.
- Parade will form up in St Ninians Square after the service and march to the war memorial for wreath laying ceremony.
- Parade will march back to RBLS, Bank Street, for refreshments.
- 12.10pm Guests to gather in Carnoustie Church opposite the war memorial.
- 12.15pm March off from the RBLS, Bank Street.
- 12.30pm Service at the war memorial.
- 10.50am Congregation to be seated for remembrance service at Edzell Church, The Muir, Edzell
- 12.30pm Wreath laying service, Edzell war memorial.
- 10.40am Congregation to be seated at Lowson Memorial Church, Jamieson Street.
- 10.45am Service begins and on completion of service, parade will muster outside East and Old Church to parade to The Cross.
- 12.30pm Wreath laying ceremony at The Cross and parade to RBLS, Academy Street, for refreshments.
- 2.00pm Wreath laying ceremony at Balmashanner.
- 10.40am Gather at Glamis war memorial.
- 11.00am Wreath laying ceremony.
- 12.15pm Gather at war memorial at Kirriemuir Hill.
- 12.30pm Service and wreath laying.
- 10.00am Newtyle Church Service.
- 10.45am Wreath laying ceremony.
- 10.00am Letham Church Service.
- 10.40am Procession to the war memorial.
- 11.00am Wreath laying ceremony.
- 10.15am Muster outside the RBLS, Wellington Street.
- 10.25am March sets off.
- 10.45am March arrives at Old and St Andrews Church, High Street.
- 12 noon Wreath laying ceremony at war memorial.
- 12.30pm Reform parade and return to RBLS for soup and sandwiches.
- 10.45am Service at Monifieth Parish Church.
- 12.20pm Parade from church to War Memorial for short service and wreath laying.
- Arrangements made by wreath layer.