Work placements for young people at school


Guidance for teachers

We work with employers to support senior pupils with work placements.

All our placements follow the Career Education Standard and the Work Placements Standard.


Workplace opportunities are recorded and administered on Hanlon. Your school will have a Hanlon administrator. The skills for work co-ordinator will support them and the Developing the Young Workforce (DYW) team lead.

Guidance is available from the DYW lead and DYW school co-ordinator in your school.


Work placements are recorded on SEEMIS as "authorised absence – work placement".


Potential employers must have Employers' Liability Insurance before a placement can go ahead. Employers must be able to provide a copy of their insurance.

Lone workers

Lone worker placements can only take place when the lone worker:

  • is an immediate family member

  • is close family friend

  • or has been PVG checked for safeguarding purposes.

In these circumstances Public Liability insurance is acceptable.

Pre-placement checks

Requests for pre-placement checks must be received within four weeks of the start of the placement. or six weeks for a placement in another local authority area.

Refer any questions to your DYW school co-ordinator.