Enrolling in primary school

Each new school session begins with the autumn term in August.

For autumn term start dates visit our school holidays page.

When to enrol

You should enrol for an August start in the January of that year. We won't accept enrolments made before January.

To enrol in your catchment school

You should normally apply to the school whose catchment serves the area where you live. View a map of primary school catchment areas.

To enrol complete our online form. If you require support to complete the form, please contact your prospective school.

School enrolment form

The form will ask you to upload:

  • a copy of your child's birth certificate (full version, if possible)
  • two current proofs of address/residency (one of which must be dated within the past three months)

Acceptable proofs of address/residency:

  • Council Tax letter
  • bank/building society statement
  • credit card statement
  • utility bill (electricity, gas, phone)
  • utility connection letter
  • driving licence or V5 vehicle registration document
  • social work letter
  • Child Maintenance Service letter
  • Department for Work and Pensions letter
  • HMRC letter

If you are about to move home

If you are due to move, and want to enrol your child in the school serving the area where you will live, you can upload a copy of either:

  • your final missive/concluded bargain letter
  • the rental agreement for the property you are moving into

Living with other family members or friends

If a family live with other family members or friends, copies of the following will be requested in place of the above:

  • a letter from the person that the family are staying with confirming that they are living there
  • proof of residence/address for the person that the family are staying with
  • proof showing that the parent is living at this address such as:
    • Child Tax Credit letter
    • bank/building society statement
    • V5 vehicle registration document
    • driving licence
    • social work letter
    • Child Maintenance Service letter
    • Department for Work and Pensions letter

St Margaret’s RC or St Thomas RC primary schools

If you are enrolling at St Margaret’s RC or St Thomas RC primary schools, and your child has been baptised, you should also provide a copy of the baptismal certificate.

Enrol in a school outside your catchment area (placing request)

Visit our making a placing request page.

Gaelic education

Whitehills Primary School in Forfar has a Gaelic medium unit where children can learn a second language from primary one.

It’s the only Gaelic class in Angus. Most of the children’s families don’t speak Gaelic at home. Parents are strongly involved in the work of the class and the wider school, and there is close collaboration with the Gaelic teacher. Find out more about Gaelic education in Angus.

School handbooks

You can find information about your child’s prospective school, and all other Angus Council schools in our school handbook directory.

Contact information

If you require further advice regarding school enrolments and placing requests please contact:

Education and Lifelong Learning – Support Services
Angus House
Orchardbank Business Park

Email: ACCESSSchoolsLearnEnrolment@angus.gov.uk  
Tel: 03452 777 778