Benefits and financial entitlements for refugees from Ukraine


Verifying claimant identity for claimants arriving from Ukraine

Where a Non UK national arriving from Ukraine makes a claim to UC standard evidence requirements apply, such as a passport and so on.

Claimants without sufficient Identification (ID)

Where you do not have sufficient evidence to verify your ID a centralised team within the Department for Work and Pensions will decide what evidence may be considered. This may include an IS116 form issued by the Home Office or an official identity document.

Biometric Residency Permit (BRP)

All non UK nationals evacuated from Ukraine will need to apply for a BRP within 90 days of entering the country. If you have a BRP this may be used as ID. If you have not yet received your BRP, the Home Office will advise you as to which post office you can collect it from when it is issued. There will then be a follow up Further Evidence Interview within 3 months for you to take your BRP into the Jobcentre for verification.

Being turned down for benefit

If you have been turned down for a benefit or have received a decision that you are not happy about, you can ask for the decision to be looked at again. This is called a mandatory reconsideration. If the decision is not revised in your favour, you can appeal against the decision. 

Our welfare rights team can help you with this.