Benefits for people with health conditions


Disability living allowance (DLA) for children

It is no longer possible to make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance for children.  This has now been replaced by Child Disability Payment.

If your child already gets Disability Living Allowance (child DLA) then you do not need to apply for the new Child Disability Payment.  You will continue to get your Disability Living Allowance (child DLA) payments from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for the time being. 

Child DLA cases will be transferred from the DWP over to Child Disability Payment in stages beginning in late 2021, once that happens you will then get your payments from Social Security Scotland instead.   

You will be contacted before it happens and you will not need to make a new application.  The payments will be made at the same rate and on the same regular date as the previous DLA award.

Until you are advised that the transfer process is complete, you should continue to follow instructions given by the DWP to maintain your DLA for children award.