Pre-application advice and surgeries

Our pre-application advice service is currently suspended and we will not provide bespoke advice on development proposals.

General advice is provided below.


Works relating to existing residential properties

This can include:

  • alterations and extensions to houses and flats
  • development in the garden area of a house or flat
  • boundary enclosures such as walls and fences
  • other related domestic type development

Proposals that comply with the criteria in Policy TC4 of the Angus Local Development Plan are most likely to be supported.

Our householder development planning advice note has guidance on complying with the policy.

Policy TC4

Proposals for householder development (including alterations/extensions to houses and flats, development within the curtilage of houses and flats, means of enclosure, satellite antenna and domestic scale microgeneration) will be supported where the siting, design, scale or massing of the proposal, does not:

  • adversely affect the residential amenity enjoyed by the house or surrounding domestic properties including, in the case of microgeneration, through noise or shadow flicker;
  • detrimentally affect the character and/or appearance of the building, site or surrounding area; and
  • result in the overdevelopment of the plot or a loss of garden ground, parking or bin storage.

Proposals unlikely to be supported

A proposal is unlikely to be supported if it:

  • does not comply with the guidance and
  • is not accompanied by information that, in our opinion, justifies the departure

If you intend to depart from the guidance you must submit a supporting statement justifying the departure with your application. The statement should show that the departure would not adversely affect:

  • the amenity of your neighbours or the wider area
  • the general environment
  • road safety


We cannot provide bespoke advice or comment on specific proposals to alter an existing house.

We encourage you to get an architect/planning consultant or other qualified agent to help with your application.

You may also find information relevant to aspects of your proposal in:


We have a legal duty to consider whether a development is likely to affect bats.

The Bat Conservation Trust publishes good practice guidelines. These include advice on when bat surveys are likely to be required.

We will ask for a bat survey before we determine a planning application if:

  • good practice guidelines indicate that a bat survey is required or
  • there is reasonable evidence to suggest that a proposal may affect bats

. This helps establish whether bats are present and what impact a proposal may have on them.

Listed buildings and conservation areas

There are special rules and considerations if your proposal affects a listed building or a building in a conservation area.

Find out more about conservation areas.

The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland has a list of registered architects who are qualified and experienced to act as the lead professional in conservation work.

Other consents

Your proposal may require other consents, such as:

Before you start any work, get a qualified and experienced agent to ensure you have all the permissions and consents you need.

Next: Other works