Universal credit

Universal Credit in Angus

Universal Credit is now delivering a Full Service across the Angus area. This means that from 08 November 2017, new claims for any of the legacy benefits it is replacing will not be accepted and claimants will now have to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.

Use the postcode checker below to find out if you meet the conditions for claiming Universal Credit.

There are a couple of groups who will not be able to make a ‘Full Service’ Universal Credit claim just yet, these are:-

  • New claimants who have three or more children (this will change in November 2018 when the UC system will change to allow claims from people with three or more children). These claimants can still claim one or more of the legacy benefits.
  • Angus residents who live in a ‘PH11 8’ or a ‘PH12 8’ postcode area. (This will change in June 2018 when the Blairgowrie Jobcentre moves over to a Full Service area). These claimants can still claim a legacy benefit(s), or for some single claimants, a ‘live service’ Universal Credit claim, use the above postcode checker for more information.

If you claimed Universal Credit on or before 07 November 2017, you will be invited to change your claim over to a ‘Full Service’ claim in early-mid 2018. Your Jobcentre work coach will keep you informed and you should also receive a letter from the DWP about this. This will involve opening an online Universal Credit account and maintaining it online, if you need digital skills to prepare for this then you can prepare for this now.

If you are in receipt of one of the legacy benefits and then have a significant change in circumstances then it is highly likely you will move over to Universal Credit. This chart from Newcastle Welfare Rights Service gives several examples of what could trigger a move over to Universal Credit ‘Full Service’.

In 2019, a gradual process of moving existing legacy benefit claimants over to Universal Credit will begin. The UK Government expect that process will be completed by 2022.

For further advice or assistance speak to a local Jobcentre Plus work coach, alternatively contact our welfare rights service or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.