Universal credit


Managing your money

Universal Credit is generally paid monthly and any housing costs (formerly housing benefit) will be paid to you.

It is now possible for UC applicants in Scotland to have their payments paid twice a month and for their housing costs paid direct to their Landlord. These are referred to as ‘Scottish choices’. More information can be found on the Scottish Government website.

In limited circumstances it is possible for payments to be split between partners. You should speak to your work coach about this. These requests are considered under an Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA).

Remember that Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is not part of Universal Credit, so if you are liable for Council Tax then remember to claim CTR.

If you are affected by the ‘bedroom tax’, you will also have to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to cover the reduction in your housing cost award as a result of being under occupied.

The impartial Money Helper website can help you make the most of your money while you are on Universal Credit. It offers help and advice on topics such as opening a bank account, free basic bank accounts, keeping on top of bills and dealing with debt. Or speak to your work coach, who can refer you to a local advice agency for budgeting support.

Many of the major banks now offer free basic bank accounts and Capital Credit Union have a range of saving and borrowing options.

If you have debts there are help agencies who can offer free confidential advice and support.

Further information on managing your money is available on our budgeting advice page and GOV.UK.